If there's one thing I've learned in Paris - besides la concordance du temps, le discours indirect, and le passé simple, that is - it's that you can see even more interesting things just by wandering around the city than you can see while walking through a museum like the Louvre. True, there are some things that are not so pleasant to see, such as beggars, litter (see image below), and dog poop in the street, but there are so many things happening here all the time that it is a shame to take the métro, even if it is fast and convenient. Here are just a few of the cool things I've seen since my arrival ...
 |
A typical street in Paris ... on a good day.
If there's something Paris is known for besides the Eiffel tower, the Mona Lisa, and unfriendly waiters, it is the frequent strikes and/or protests that can paralyze the city, or just cause a bit of inconvenience. So you can understand my surprise that I hadn't encountered one yet ... at least not until Saturday, as I was on my way to the Père Lachaise cemetery on bus number 69. I had planned to get off at the last stop, Gambetta, but without warning the driver suddenly stopped the bus ten minutes away from the end of the route and told us all to get off. I didn't quite catch everything that he said, as I was sitting near the back of the bus, but my ears perked up when I heard the word "manifestations." Was I about to see my very first Parisian protest, I wondered? As it turned out, no. The road was being blocked by a long line of people, but it wasn't a protest; it was a parade in support of fair trade. I was slightly disappointed, but as it turned out, I didn't have to wait to long to see a protest. Later that day, as I was walking though le Marais, I ran into a large crowd of supporters of Laurent Gbagbo protesting France's interference in the Côte d'Ivoire's elections and Gbagbo's arrest. It looked like the entire Ivorian population of Paris had turned out to protest, banging drums and holding signs, so I got out of the way pretty quickly ... but with the satisfaction that I could cross something off my mental checklist of things to experience in Paris! |
 |
| My first Parisian protest (sort of) |
It is also surprising what you can find just a few streets away from where you live. Last week I was walking around the Champs-Elysées with the other two girls staying with the same host family when we happened upon an exhibition all about Coca Cola! Just for the fun of it, we went inside to take a look around - after all, it was free. It was actually very interesting to see the old Coke bottles and advertisements from many decades ago, and after we were done we went to the garden at the back of the building and had drinks (Coke, of course). We also looked at the souvenir shop but I didn't buy anything, as everything for sale had Coca Cola logos plastered all over it. I think it's ridiculous that they want you to pay 25 euros for a Coke bag or t-shirt; if you ask me, Coca Cola should be paying people to wear the shirts and carry the bags, because it's advertising for them!
 |
The three of us at the exhibition. Sadly, there are only two of us now, as one of the girls has returned to Oman.
Another cool thing that I saw the other day is the sculpture in the picture below. There is an artist whose work consists of creating huge plastic candies, and right now her artwork is scattered all over Paris. I saw this one on the Champs-Elysées, between rue Washington and the Arc de Triomphe. Unless I'm much mistaken, the design on the sculpture is the flag of Qatar.
|
Finally, I was walking by the Centre Georges Pompidou the other day (a true monstrosity if I ever saw one, but quite an interesting contrast with all of Paris' other buildings) ...
... when I saw a familiar face! Why hello, Gerard, how nice to see you here (and your lovely uniform as well)! :)
P.S. For anyone who isn't familiar with FC Barcelona or the Spanish national soccer team, this is Gerard Pique, a defender for both teams.
No comments:
Post a Comment