As I write this, I can hear beautiful piano playing coming from another apartment. This morning it was the sound of Chopin echoing across the courtyard to my window, earlier this evening it was Beethoven, and now it is a song I am not familiar with but equally as nice.
Today was wonderful and I saw a lot of things, even though I didn't get out of bed until after ten in the morning (I set my alarm, but I turned it off to sleep a few more minutes ... and a few minutes turned into a few hours! I will blame it on the jet-lag.). I left the house at around eleven and walked down the Champs-Élysées, crossed the Place de la Concorde and went through the Tuileries gardens to get to the Orangerie museum. It has impressionist and post-impressionist paintings like the Musée d'Orsay, but it is not nearly as big and way less crowded. Definitely worth a visit, especially since I got in free! Technically you're supposed to pay once you've turned 18, but the man at the desk was really nice and gave me a free ticket!
My favourite part of the exhibition was the section with the huge paintings of waterlilies (or nymphéas) by Monet. There are two oval-shaped rooms, each with four gigantic canvases that curve with the walls, giving you the impression that you are standing on an island in the middle of a pond! It's amazing that an eighty-year-old man painted these when he was nearly blind, although an eye operation did improve his eyesight and he was better able to work on the paintings. Unfortunately, after all that work, he died before the exhibition opened, and when it did, impressionism was already out of style and not very many people came to see it. Worse, a shell fell through the roof of the gallery during the liberation of Paris in 1944, and after that the gallery was renovated in a style that was not at all what Monet had wanted (he painted the Nymphéas canvases specifically be placed in a certain way in the gallery). Now, after a renovation between 2000 and 2006, the paintings are displayed in the way that they were originally intended to be.
Julia this all sounds so amazing, and you writing sounds so professional :p
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
ReplyDeleteIt all sounds so beautiful, and your writing is amazing. I loved all the descriptions and the info about monet <3
ReplyDeleteI would walk too, that way you don't miss anything :)
Hi Julia this is your brother. Your website is getting to be quite the hit! So it is going well? I have been reading your blog for a while, and I would have been the first to comment but this thing wouldn't let me... When you said that a shell fell through the roof when the liberation of Paris was happening, I thought maybe some shingle on the the roof fell in or a flying seashell smashed through the roof... I only realized it was the kind of seashell you really want to avoid! Oh, by the way, my name is mark in case you think I am some creep... By!
ReplyDeleteHi Mark ... yes I thought that it might be you, seeing as you said "this is your brother"! Which means that the message WAS written by "some creep"! ;)
ReplyDeleteHi Julia
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your note. So glad that you are having a good experience, and good for you for persevering with the higher level.
It's great that you can post pictures of your day to enhance your stories.
love from Dad